Connect with us

Editor's Pick

Gov. Matawalle of Zamfara State ready to resign over insecurity in Zamfara

Published

on

Governor Matawalle of Zamfara State in a live television interview with Channels Television on Wednesday restated his commitment to resolve the insecurity challenges in his state.

In his words, “I am not intimidated. If I know that my resigning as a governor will make the people sleep with their two eyes closed, I can resign. I am ready to do what will bring security. I am not power-hungry. I have been having a sleepless night to protect the people of Zamfara State.”

However, on the no-fly order on Zamfara declared by the National Security Council, the governor affirmed that he held no contention against the declaration, although he not consulted before the declaration was made.

Further the governor clarified that no ransom was paid to secure the release of the kidnapped students.

“There is nothing in exchange for the release; we use those (bandits) that are repented. When we use them, they engage them and I said they should ask them why they did that?” 

According to him, some of the repented bandits are working with the government to keep Zamfara state safe.

The governor was interviewed a day after the over 300 schoolgirls who had been kidnapped from the Government Secondary School in Jangebe, Zamfara State were freed.

 

Advertisement

Editor's Pick

El-Rufai vows not to pay ransom if Son kidnapped, Prays he makes heaven instead

Published

on

El-Rufai vows not to pay ransom if Son kidnapped, Prays he makes heaven instead

Governor Nasir El-Rufai vows not to pay ransom if Son kidnapped, or for the release of any kidnapped victim in the state. This comes after a statement from previous interviews where he said categorically that said kidnappers do not deserve to live and should all be wiped out.

El-Rufai said that even though his son is kidnapped, he would not pay a ransom. I’d rather pray for him to go to heaven than pay any ransom, the governor said during a radio interview in Kaduna.

He reiterated that he has cautioned his family members to be cautious to avoid being kidnapped, emphasizing that he had already made it clear to them that he will never pay a ransom for their release if any of them are kidnapped.

READ ALSO: IPOB expresses concern over killing of Biafrans in Akwa Ibom and Benue

“I mean it, and I will say it again, here. Even if my son is kidnapped, I will rather pray for him to make heaven instead, because I won’t pay any ransom.”

The governor has been under pressures to find and free the abducted students of the Federal College of Forestry and Mechanisation in Kaduna and went on to reiterate that the government is looking at other ways to secure their release.  He did, however, rule out paying the ransom as part of those ways being considered.

Continue Reading

Editor's Pick

Abia State Gov. shuts down school over explosives found in premises

Published

on

Abia State Gov. shuts down school over explosives found in premises

Abia State Gov. shuts down school over explosives found in premises of a primary school within its state capital. The Abia State Government announced that an investigation has started to “unravel the origins and nature” of the alleged explosive devices discovered at Union Primary School in Afaraukwu, Umuahia.

Okiyi Kalu, the Commissioner for Information, announced this in a statement released in Umuahia on Thursday.

Mr Kalu said that the state government has begun collaborating with appropriate security agencies in the state regarding the progress.

READ ALSO: Miyetti Allah to FG, 400 grazing reserves adequate to accommodate herders in Northern Nigeria

According to the statement, “an initial inspection of the instruments reveals signs of corrosion, raising the possibility that the artefacts are civil war remnants.”

“We are awaiting a definitive formal report from the Nigeria Police Explosives Ordnance Disposal unit, which is reportedly investigating the incident.”

While he made it clear that the school had been briefly closed by the authorities, he also claimed that the requisite precautions have been taken to secure the school’s students and employees, “with security sweeps underway.”

Even as Mr Okiyi Kalu expressed the government’s gratitude to God for no loss of life or property, he went ahead to say that Governor Okezie Ikpeazu had ordered security agents to conduct a serious investigation and come up with preventive checks as well as measures in other vulnerable areas of the state.

Continue Reading

Editor's Pick

Breaking: Nigerian Activist Yinka Odumakin is dead

Published

on

Breaking: Nigerian Activist Yinka Odumakin is dead

According to reports reaching Izzygong; Spokesman Afenifere, Human Rights Activist, Nationalist and a true democrat Yinka Odumakin is dead.

While the circumstances of his death are still unknown, a source told Daily Trust that he died as a result of COVID-19 complications.

After the annulment of the June 12, 1993 election, Odumakin was a core member of the National Democratic Coalition (NADECO), which fought General Sani Abacha’s rule.

READ ALSO: Tussle intensifies as questions raised on next APC National Chairman

He was also a spokeswoman for the Southern and Middle Belt Leaders’ Forum (SMBLF), an organization that represents ethnic groups from the South-West, South-South, South-East, and Middle Belt.

Odumakin, who is married to another activist, Dr Joe Odumakin, has been a vocal critic of the current administration.

He has repeatedly chastised the Muhammadu Buhari-led Federal Government for perceived bias and favouritism in the recruitment of officials to different positions.

He was also outspoken in his criticism of killers’ actions in Yorubaland.

He recently cautioned the Federal Government not to arrest Sunday Igboho, who recently gave a quit notice to Fulani herders in Ibarapa, Oyo State, and expelled the Sarkin Fulani in Igangan.

Continue Reading

Trending

%d bloggers like this: